Monday, July 19, 2010

Fruit:: Melons and Figs


This is the time when the summer heat can really begin to set in. We have several days this week of triple digit temperatures. Also on the Suburban farm it is very dry. Often there are thunderstorms that if they come over you, can drop an inch of rain in just in a single storm. However, these storms can be spotty and we seem to be in a dry spot this year. Often we will see a storm on the horizon, hear thunder, have a change of smell with rain in the air and then a few drops while down the street a mile or two they may have a downpour.
This hot weather is good for plants that like heat and to some  degree dry conditions. Melons are actually a more desert type plant that can grow quickly and store lots of water in the fruit. This will bring in wild animals that are looking for water and then they spread their seeds.

This French variety I have are delicious small personal melons and the one we had tonight was delightfully sweet and mild tasting. I have put some of the rind out in the rabbit trap in hopes of catching the critter that is eating my soybeans.

The other plant that can do well in these conditions is the fig. My tree has grown very large. I am not really sure how I am supposed to prune it and I would say that the mangled shape leaves something to be desired, but the thing is full of fruit. The first few figs are ripening today, and over the next month we will have plenty.
With today's harvest

7.11 KG or 15.6 Lbs over the last 6 days

For grand total of 129.61KG or 286.65lbs

2 comments:

  1. I agree the figs and melons are wonderful. Is this total with the forgotten soybeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked figs and figs, 4002--- and then Lydia picked more that were to high for me. She also took a picture. I took 8 home with me. Soooo
    good. There is lots more. Welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete