Friday, July 30, 2010

New Water Barrel




If you are following this blog you might remember that I have had no luck with the rain barrel. I bought it for $20 at a garage sale and then I was never able to get it to hold water properly.  This might be helpful now with the severe lack of rain over the last few weeks. We have been watering and this has added about $15 to our usual total.













The Alabama Environmental Council  put on a rain barrel workshop last night at the Vestavia Hills Library.  The Farmer's Wife took pity on my rain barrel angst. She had noticed the ad and signed us up. After we listened to the presentation we all went outside and constructed this nice barrel. I still have to paint the barrel and install it.
I hope to repair my other barrel and then I will have two, for a total of nearly 100 gallons of water when we do finally get some rain. To learn more about AEC and rain barrels check out www.aeconline.org.

Harvest tonight yielded zucchini, egg plants, acorn squash, cherry tomatoes and of course figs for the supper tonight.
All in all an additional 3.731 KG of food was added to the total.

1 comment:

  1. i picked more figs this morning after you picked to take to work. I am going to try a couple of ways to freeze them and see how they do. Will work on making pots here at home. Watered hope we get rain soon.

    ReplyDelete