Monday, January 10, 2011

New Year 2011; Some New Seeds and Continued Harvest


A continued harvest. Although the photograph is a little dark I have harvested a few heads of broccoli from the garden. Today the plants are covered with snow again. To me this is my own continued evidence of climate change. It is hotter at times and then we have extremes of temperature. Some people point to times like this and say there is no change in the climate, but they forget the over 100 days of over 100 degree temperatures that baked the Farmers plots this last summer. I hope that the plants which have many side shoots will still have time to produce.
There are some preparations that have been going on. I have taken the tiller in for a tune up and stocked up on compost, lime and later this month I hope to start some soil preparation. The New Farmer has made a lot of new pots and we have added lights on the top and bottom shelve of the potting bench so we can double up on the numbers of seedlings that we start. I noticed that some things were not as successful as others and that perhaps larger pots and letting them get a little larger before putting them out will help. Since we have more room we can do this.
Great trip to the International Market in Atlanta and found some parsnips, some peppers and kabocha, which is a oriental pumpkin that I hope to try out this year. However, my own surprise is still ripening  tomatoes tomatoes that I was able to bring up from the basement.
The Suburban Farmer has gone through all the seeds and thrown out old ones, replaced some that have been used up and ordered new types of seeds, like peppers seeds, that might enable us to grow fruits like this.
This new year we have harvested 580 grams of produce to report with  broccoli, spinach leaves and a few other things that the Suburbam Farmer can still harvest.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get started. Those peppers sure do look good. I forgot about the tomato's I need to get a couple to bring to my place.
    Looking forward to a new growing season.

    ReplyDelete