Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cooking with Greens




The New Farmer has enjoyed several good green dishes.
Spinach is doing great right now. These are plants that have made it through the winter and have lots of good new green leaves coming out. One of the things about greens is that a lot of greens cooks down to a much smaller amount. This Italian recipe has olive oil, a clove of garlic and pine nuts that toast in the oil and then the whole mess of spinach goes in and wilts down for a delicious dish that only takes a few minutes to produce.
I am still getting broccoli and cabbage and I have been sharing with some friends. I noticed that the broccoli when steamed was an amazing green color, the brightest and freshest I have seen by far.

Tonight it was time for collards. We were making a soup for dinner and I went out and picked 250 grams of collards and cut them up and they really added flavor to the soup and great for the vitamins too. I also added a bag of frozen tomatoes from the summer.

All total I have 1.575 KG to add, which brings us up to 3.425 KG for the two coldest months of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I know those collards where wonderful and they look great. I plan on getting some of those collards tomorrow. I got the red and gold potatoes today for planting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked collards yesterday and have had 2 meals with them. They sure were super good. We have things coming up for spring and plants to put out side in the garden maybe this week-end. Good Eating Yum Yum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete