Saturday, April 3, 2010

Bare feet



Broccoli Raab with penne pasta

I have several photos to show readers of the progress made in the garden so far this year. Today we had a light shower in the morning after which I went out to do some weeding. I noticed that there were a lot of weeds coming up around the fava beans and in some of the other areas. I thought weeding might be hard but with ground moist I made quick work of it.

I had gone out in my bare feet and I think that this might become a habit. There have been some complaints of me tramping in dirt on my shoes. Therefore no shoes I think would make clean up easier. In any case the damp soil and coolness of garden felt great and although I don't usually go out bare foot that often I think they would toughen up pretty quickly. Then when I am done a splash of water from the tap will clean off the dirt and make for a cleaner home. Many cultures do not wear shoes inside since it is cleaner not to and foot washing before coming in has been part of getting ready to come inside since Biblical times so I think I will try it.

Tasks done today
1) have started the soaking of the mushroom block so that I can try growing a new bloom; it will need to soak for 24 hours in rain water so I will set it up tomorrow.

2) The strawberries are blooming both in the pot and in the bed.

3) Red potatoes coming up in the trench I dug. As they grow I will fill in the trench and this will give move stem for the potato to grow on.

3) I have been eating arugula ( The English call it Rocket and I like the sound of the name) almost every day. The sharp peppery taste with a slight bitter after taste is not to everyone's liking However, splashed with vinegar and topped with some Parmesan cheese it is a great salad. Little bunches of this go for a pretty penny. If you had smell on your blog then you could smell the peppery aroma.


4)Major planting over the next week. Not all fear of frost is over for another ten days yet but I think it is time to start.

1 comment:

  1. I have been home just a week and those potato's sure have grown. I think I would like some of that rocket. I like greens and sometime they are sharp. Ernest is having problems with Deer in his garden again this year. I don't think that will be a problem in your garden.
    Granny

    ReplyDelete