Monday, April 5, 2010

Warm Day


Snow a distant memory?



Today it was one of the warmest so far. Predicted to be in the high 70's the temperature was recorded as 82 degrees by my car thermometer on the way home from work. I decided that it was time to put some of the seedlings in the ground. If the nighttime temperature is at least in the 50's then it should be OK for tomatoes and some other tender plants to go in the ground.

Some of my melon and squash seedling looked a little ragged. Most looked great but some had been shaded by the the large leaves of their neighbors and were getting crowded out for light. To big for the crib and so I needed to get some of them out to the garden plot so that I could spread things out a little more.

For my friends who do not have the good fortune to live in the South I wanted to show a picture of my azaleas which just in the last few days have started to bud. By tomorrow you will not see any green anymore and the show will last for 10-14 days. This group of azaleas surrounds the small cherry tree I featured earlier.

I haven't put all of my tomatoes out today. Here is a picture of one of my seedlings with two full sets of true leaves. Over the next week they all will go in the ground.

The other things I would like to show is the fava beans now about 8 inches tall and I have a second small patch planted 2 weeks later that will supply a more extended harvest.

Finally the sugar snaps. They are now nearly a foot tall and growing a couple of inches a day. last year they over topped the four foot high netting. Some day I might test how tall they could climb but I might need a scaffolding twice as high to support them.

1 comment:

  1. Things sure do look good now. You will be eating peas before long. Can't wait until I can help. It was 84 here today and we sure do need rain. Things are dry but we also need to wash that pollen away. it sure has my head and throat messed up big time. Granny

    ReplyDelete