Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Herbs in the Garden

Herbs are a really good thing to have in your garden.



I have planted a herbs around the patio of my front door. The sage is starting to bloom. This is Dalmatian Sage which is most well known for use with turkey and other roasted meats. The Latin name is salvia. Salvia is a common flowering plant that is often planted as an annual. These versions are breed for their flowers but the one I have is a perennial and I have sage always available.

I also have thyme, oregano and marjoram (which is a milder form of oregano). I have all of these herbs just out side the front door and I use them frequently in my cooking. This is a great thing to have in your yard because they have great flavor but also they save you a lot of money. Those little bottles of of dry herbs can cost several dollars a piece.

The new farmer has sent up a large rosemary plant that I will add to my collection. This is a very impressive specimen. If you walk by and brush the plant the wonderful smell of rosemary perfumes the air.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you got that Rosemary. I have it for a least 4 years and it takes no extra care in the winter even when it get real cold. I love it in meats and the smell is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete