Monday, April 12, 2010

Week in Review




I had a week hiatus due to a bum knee that made working in the garden and posting difficult. I am doing much better today and it is amazing what a week can mean at this time of year.

This week I now have plants that are mature enough that I can eat some food from my garden every day. The variety is somewhat limited but when you harvest something, bring it in, wash and eat it or cook it within minutes to a few hours the flavors are incredible.

This is a list of current foods: radishes, arugula, broccoli raab, leaf lettuce and Swiss chard.

Butter Head lettuce, spinach and romaine lettuce are about a week away.


I have taken all my potted seedlings outside and planted tomatoes, squash and cucumbers. Sam came over to help me because of my bum leg and you can see that we scattered the plants around to different places in the yard. This helps because some places are better suited and if you get a pest infestation in one tomato or squash plant it is not so easy for it to spread to all of your crops.

I also put down newspaper and a layer of pine straw. The newspaper keeps the weeds down and helps hold in moisture and pine straw is more attractive, protects the paper and keep the wind from blowing it away. This system worked great for me last year reducing the need for weeding and watering. A little bit of effort now saves a lot of time later and allows you to just enjoy your garden for the food it produces for the next 8 months.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are back in the garden. Everything looks wonderful. See you tonight in Florida.

    ReplyDelete