Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Leeks and Leaks



Well, the leeks that I have planted do not photograph well at this size. The process to grow leeks is really quite involved which is probably why they are expensive. The seeds are tiny, like small grains of sand but very black. I started them in side under the grow light and after a few weeks they where about 3 or 4 inches tall. I then put them in the cold frame and that is where they have been ever since.




Once they get about 10-12 inches tall you then dig individual holes and put the uprooted plant 6 inches down. As they grow you can hill dirt up because you want the underground part to be blanched (white) and that is the part you eat. Whoever thought to put there leeks 6 inches down in the ground? Anyway I have planted about 80 and it really want be the fall before they will be ready to harvest. I will post more pictures as they are bigger and photograph better.

Leaks are another problem. You may remember the rain barrel that I bought at an estate sell last winter. I installed it and it leak. I have spent more money on the barrel trying to fix the leak then I spent at the estate sell an it still does not work. There is a flimsy hose that comes off a nipple on the bottom age and you are supposed to just push the hose on. As soon as you try to use it pops off and the water begins to gush. Well yesterday it pop off on its own and I notice that there was water in the drive way. The leaks got a good soak with probably 200 liters of water on them and it was a swamp. Fortunately good drainage in this area so things look good today.
Cabbage                1.190 Kg
Chard                       280 grams
Squash (Yellow)       170 grams
Sugar snaps              590 gram   1.3 lb
Strawberries             275 grams   0.6 lb


Total as of May 18,    2.500 Kg

4 comments:

  1. maybe you could just plug the hole from the outside permanently? instead of a hose and a hole in the bottom you could put a hole in the side where the hose came up to instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick maybe you can help me with that soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, you could get a bigger barrel and put the smaller one inside it to contain the leak! It would be like Russian nesting barrels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last recommendations wins for creativity but not practicality. I will have my engineering consultant check it out

    ReplyDelete