Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lettuce wants to Bolt

The garden is starting to become very productive with greens, peas, strawberries and lettuce. The lettuce is starting to bolt. I brought in sugar snaps and romaine lettuce for some of my colleagues. It was then that I noticed that the stems were getting thicker and starting to elongate between the leaves. Instead of a compact head which starts the process that will go to seed. This is called bolting. It isn't much of a problem quite yet but it can be in just a few days. Once the lettuce head opens up and the flowers emerge the greens may become a little more sharp/bitter and even wilt as all the energy is going into the production of seed for the next generation. It is almost as if we should have some narration as in a nature show were they show the worn out and ragged looking salmon gasping after they spawn. So having flowers and making seed is not good for lettuce.

I think I will try a few lettuce seeds even though heat is not good for lettuce. If I use my floating covers for shade I may get small heads but enough to eat before they bolt and go to seed.

On the other hand flowers are often a good thing. The little yellow blossoms for the tomato plants will promise fruit in the next few weeks, since the cherry tomato ripens quickly once the fruit sets. Squash is flowering and a yellow squash will be ready for supper tomorrow. The green beans are also blossoming.

Since my last report

Lettuce (multiple harvest) 1200 grams
Strawberry 500 grams
Spinach 130 grams
Chard 240 grams
Sugar snaps 610 grams
Total 2.680 kilograms

2 comments:

  1. Okay we need ounces and pounds not them grams and kilograms. I can have squash, beans and sugar peas when I get there Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow its looking really good! i wonder if lettuce seeds are any good? Maybe they are the veggie equivalent of sesame seeds on a burger for salads???

    ReplyDelete