Monday, August 16, 2010

150 Kilograms: A Few Cherry Tomatoes Make the Goal
























150 Kilograms: A Few Cherry Tomatoes Make the Goal

I have been hoping to reach the next intermediate goal of 150KG for a few days. I was under by 121 grams yesterday and on the way in from work I found these scraggly few tomatoes and they weighed exactly the 121 grams that I needed. I think that this must be an omen or sign but with this the total weight of all produce from the garden is 150 KG. We are now only 50KG from the official goal for the year. I remain optimistic.

There has been some other good news. This weekend the local drought broke and there was nearly 3 inches of rain. We had some pretty heavy downpours but lots of smaller rain storms to let the water sink in and moisten the soil that was starting to be so dry. The temperature however is still in the 90's as it has been every day for the last 45 days. The okra, eggplant and tomatoes have made it through with the help of the New Farmer's reliable water and nuture.
I did notice that there are some sweet potatoes that are starting to stick up over the ground promising a new crop. I do have some problems with insects and I think a new bunny is back and I will need to try to deal with that pest before the next part of the garden season starts. This week I will pull up some of the older plants and use my tiller to mix in some compost and then put in some new seeds.
The New Farmer and I have started nearly 100 seedlings and this week I will put them out to harden in the higher temperature and I will start some new seedling for the greens and other winter crops. It is hard to think about the cooler weather crop when it is so hot but now is the time to start for the best result.

1 comment:

  1. the new farmer is gone for a while. Hope things do well and we have rain. Looking forward to seeing how much things grow while I am gone.

    ReplyDelete