Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Bunny Wars

















I have nearly 100 baby plants that will soon need to go in the ground and another hundred on the way. So the thought of putting my little ones in harms way has driven me to action. As of yet the bunny trap has been ineffectual. I have tried a few baits and so has the Farmer’s wife but to no avail. She did find his den recently in some azalea bushes and flushed him out. Well there are some suggestions on the web about using bait that is made up of what he might be eating; which at this time is strangely some okra leaves, and having a little Hansel and Gretel tidbit trails that lead to the trap or put up a fence with the trap being the door? Why the trap if you are going to have a fence? I though about putting a baby kale plant from the seedlings in the trap seeing this kind of like a kamikaze mission or taking one for the team.
However, I am trying a fence. Michael Palin of The Omnivore’s Dilemma recounted how the wood chucks lead to a temporary form of insanity and that the fence was his savior. Well, the fence I would say looks pretty good. I suppose there is a certain farm-ish look but for now the fence is in the upper garden and mostly hidden and not out in the more open yard. It does look neat, safe and orderly. This little space is for growing plants that while certainly they are natural they are our friends and need some help from us. We can try to do this in a healthy way or might be lured into more drastic measures with chemicals and other sorts of more lethal arsenal. Well 6 seedlings spent the night in their new digs and looked fine this morning before I took off on a trip.
Last night I had the last of my three servings of vegetable yellow rice. This was incredibly delicious dish and even though there are a few things not all eaters care for in their individual incarnation, together they made some beautiful music.
Recipe
Large handfull of bunching onions, large handful of basil, smallish eggplant, peppers and some okra pods and cherry tomatoes. These were all sliced up and put in the pot with about 100 grams of kielbasa sausage and cooked down till starting to soften. The package of yellow rice was added and cooked for 20 minutes. To see all of these things come out of my garden and into the pot was a great satisfaction even if I don’t ultimately meet my goal for overall production of weight.
Try the above recipe and see what you think.
Total for the harvest the last 2 days is
824 g.

The fig tree is not making lots of figs but there are still a lot of green figs and every day one or two start to turn dark and then in 24-48 hours you have the honeyed flavor that most peculiarly shaped fruit. I appreciate the stragglers that will if history holds keep coming on for the next month or so. I love figs but I guess I have more understanding for the Hebrews wandering in the wilderness that tired of Manna and grumbled. I never audibly grumbled but the anticipation of having a fig from the tree has returned.

4 comments:

  1. whats that brown mass in the fig tree picture, it looks like a balled up snake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a dead leaf that has curled up. I thought it looked artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some seeds I am bringing home. Kyle's friend brought some veggie's over from her Grandparents garden and had a long red sweet pepper which was very good. I cooked it with the other veggies she brought and they were very good. Kyle likes the veggies but Terry not much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I though about putting a baby kale plant from the seedlings in the trap seeing this kind of like a kamikaze mission or taking one for the team.

    I loved this line.

    ReplyDelete