Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sun Flower Seed and Baba Ganoush

















Baba Ganoush is a Mediterranean dip or spread made from roasted eggplant. I had some eggplant that were going a little soft so I roasted them in the oven while I was cooking some other food and then when cooled I  scoop out the flesh. It looks a lot like hummus and is fact very much like hummus but the base is eggplant instead of garbanzo beans. Look up a recipe on the internet, but the basic idea is that  you add the eggplant, lemon juice, garlic, salt to taste and taheni (sesame seed paste) and process smooth in the food processor. It has a somewhat unfortunate gray color. However, if you can eat hummus that look a lot like oily desert sand or guacamole which  also looks pre-digested you should try this as a spread.


I also have some beautiful lettuce, this is a head of butter leaf and is almost to beautiful to eat.


I decide to show you that since the next item is also not the most beautiful of photos.  I start to process some of the sunflower seeds that I had harvested and dried. Unfortunately about half of the stock that were in one bag had molded and had to be discarded.

The other half I tore apart, good for aggression relief and pop the kernels out into a bucket. It looks like a lot but only about 300grams for my effort. Nonetheless I have them soaking in a brine for the day and them will dry them in a low oven. This part is done with care since the first trial run was edible but probably a little over down so they must be watched carefully.

With assorted harvest I have 1750 grams to add bring the total to 171.750.

Which means I hope to have a celebratory 175 KG total celebration in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment