Saturday, July 30, 2011

Heavy Harvest

The New Farmer came over today to help. We had a very heavy harvest. Everyone is eating cucumber every day and they are wonderful. Lots of people benefit too since there is more than we can eat. I take food to work, church and last week I took cucumbers and tomatoes when I helped cook dinner at the Fire House Shelter.
These are older pictures since the camera has been borrowed for the weekend. The New Farmer will take some pictures for this weekend which I can add later.
Not everything is a success. We have had a second planting of squash and then they all collapsed with stem borers. For the first time I am going to use a organic spray. I am trying the BT. This is a bacteria that kills worms when they eat it. The squash borer you cannot see so I feel I have not another option. In the past I have just picked off bugs and eggs or used resistant plants or finally I have just on some occasions tried to plant enough for me and my unwelcome guests.
Just in the last week I have 12.937 KG to report today and added to the last weight we now have 142.580 KG for the year which is 315 lbs.

2 comments:

  1. Great, wonderful veggies. I cooked a pan of mixed veggies for dinner,added a potato and green tomato from my little garden sooo good. With cucumbers and chicken a dinner for a Queen- me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ghost peppers look cool!

    ReplyDelete