Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eating with the Season


One of things a lot of locavores talk about is eating with the season to reduce your carbon footprint. Locavore is about eating food that is grown and produced near you. The definition of 'near' is part of the argument. You cannot do much more local then your front yard. I thought about the distance when I ate my banana with my breakfast cereal. I guess that it came on a ship form Central America. The banana plantation uses a lot of chemicals and pesticides and then the energy to power the ship. If I was a strict locavore I would never get my banana or olive oil or a lot of foods that we enjoy.
For tonight we are having squash parmigiana with squash from the front yard garden and beans with tomatoes and cucumbers for our dinner. These yellow squash do not have a crook neck; they are straight and easier to cut up and less waste. The squash below is a pale zucchini  and I really don't remember the name of the variety.

I think being a locavore for most of the meal is better than not being a locavore at all.
Today there was a big harvest with a total of 4.5 KG total.

Acorn Squash 1150 grams
Yellow Squash 300 grams
Cucumbers 540 grams
Pale Green Squash 370 grams
Green Beans 400 grams
Beets 800 grams
and Tomatoes 785 grams

61.95 KG total- for those who want pounds that is 136.4lb

3 comments:

  1. I posted my report of produce for Monday on the wrong Day. You will have to look at Saturday post. In am glad to know what a Locavore, I hope I am one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another huge harvest of veggies. This is Wednesday June 13,10.
    1 large cucumber 947- rest of cucumbers 2594- yellow squash 252-
    Light Z 277-Green Z 211- 1 tomato 168- cherry tomato's 803- Fig 68- Pole beans 161.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is June 23 not June 13th. Sorry

    ReplyDelete