Sunday, June 27, 2010

New Beginnings and the attack of the Tomato


































The Tomatoes are starting to come in and I hope that if I can keep my plants healthy that I will have fresh tomatoes for the rest of the season. There apparently is a glut of tomatoes for the commercial farmer. So many that some are leaving fruit in the fields. Mine sometimes gets eaten in the garden and almost every time we go out in the garden to work we have someone to walk by and stop to talk and we can give them a fresh cucumber or some other thing right of the bush. Since no pesticides or other chemicals I don't think that you really need to wash.
I have had somethings that have flowered and are past their prime. Those bean plants and some of the squash come out and this weekend we planted more beans and squashes, okra and I have left some room for a few more new potatoes. The Farmer's daughter favors the new potato and the last we put in were followed by a heavy rains and appeared to rot the seed potato in the ground so we will start again.

I have two types of tomatoes as mentioned before one is the massive tray that started this post which is cherry. The other is the much larger and very delicious  type call Moskvich which if you want to see more you can go to Johnny's seed.http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-415-heirloom.aspx This is a non-determinate which means that it should keep fruiting right along.

I have been cooking today and made up some spaghetti sauce which I cook into the mix chard and different squashes along with the tomatoes for a great dish. 



June 24            1.861KG
June 25            7.61 KG
June 27            1.28 KG for a total of 10.75 KG  this 82.50 KG or 181.4 lbs
I am closing in on new bench markers of 100 KG of food and my next post in my 50th

1 comment:

  1. harvest report for June 28--
    Tomato's small bush next to sidewalk 266---Tomato's 1129---Cherry Tomato's 1630-- Yellow Squash 483---Green Z. 224--- Light Z. 753---Cucumbers 2534--- Green beans 339--
    I am going to made more pickles and cook some tomato's for the freezer and see how you like them. If they are to your liking I can make more for the winter.

    ReplyDelete