Thursday, February 11, 2010

Microgreens


One of the things I am trying to grow is microgreens. In the supermarket you can buy what is basically baby mixed lettuce that is ready to eat having been pre-washed. The cost can be pretty high at about $1 an ounce. An ounce however is a pretty big pile of these baby leaves. It looks like to me that they are picking the whole plant once it has 2-3 true leaves. When the lettuce sprouts there are two cotyledons(leaves that unfold from the seed) that are shaped much like the seed. From the middle of this there will be true leaves that will sprout that will look like the real plant such as red oak-leaf lettuce or squash or tomatoes. I have some micro greens ready to pick this weekend. This is about 18 days after planting and the cost is the packet of seeds and the light set and electricity. The packet of seeds should give me 10 or more crops if I keep the cycle growing and I don't know how much the light is costing but florescent should not be that much. This weekend I will start to harvest and set up a new batch. I think I can do this better since I did let the box dry once and this set me back so I am optimistic that I can get it down to 14 days from sprouting.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to trying some of these greens in March when I am visiting. They sure look good. Things are starting to come out here. The awful yellow stuff is everywhere. It is those pine trees.Granny

    ReplyDelete