Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rototiller/Rotokiller




This little Mantis tiller is my current machine. I have had it for a few years since my mom gave hers to me. One of the first things I bought for myself when I started making some money after residency and fellowship was a Sears behemoth of a rototiller. I probably had that machine for nearly 20 years and I will admit I did not take very good care of it. It could really beat you up and jump around particularly when you were tilling rocky or compacted soil. My son called it the Rotokiller and adamantly refused to use it. The Mantis tiller is certainly a much more light weight machine and I have taken better care of her. This year I got her going on my own and this last weekend I was able to till the oldest of my three gardens. Right now it is cold but the almanac says that sugar snap peas need to go in the ground in the next two weeks.



I don't think i have a picture of my old beast of a tiller. When I got the mantis tiller I dragged the rattletrap machine to the street. Someone suggested I put a sign up saying "free broken tiller". In a more optimistic mood I put a sign up that said "free repairable tiller" and within a few hours someone took that tiller home.

1 comment:

  1. I just loved that little tiller and Grandpa thought it was worthless. It must be almost 10 years old and still going. Keep taking care of it. Granny

    ReplyDelete