Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cherry Trees





This post is about two things.
The first thing is that there are faux fruit trees blooming everywhere. The Bradford Pears have been blooming, and the Japanese Cherry trees have just in the last two days opened their flowers. There are Crab Apples and a number of other trees and bushes that once were fruit and are now only ornamental. I suppose the reason for ornamental trees is that you get the beautiful flowers but no fruit. I suppose some think that the fruit is messy and you have to nurture the fruit and eat it. Some people seem to think that this is an inconvenient thing to have to do. I would purpose that if we have fruit trees then we should have the flowers, the trees and ultimately the fruit! I hope to some day have only real fruit trees so that I can fully enjoy them. I have blueberry bushes, a fig tree, strawberries and I have attempted to have raspberries. Some day I will have a full range of fruit bushes and trees.

The next thing is an interesting thing about my faux cherry trees. My house is around 50 years old. I would guess from the size of the Japanese cherries that we used to have that they had been planted around the time the house was built. When we moved here 5 years ago the trees were in very bad shape. They had split and were rotting from the inside. I have had both cut down now. The first was broken up pretty bad when we had to put in new septic lines so we had it cut down. The second one had pretty much broken in two and fallen on the ground. However, we still have two cherry trees. The one closer to the house had a shoot that had come from the root stock and now I have a fifty foot cherry tree but no fruit. The other tree in the front of the house had sent up several suckers from the trunk and I carefully selected one and cut all the others back. I think that this one will be a pretty, low branching Japanese cherry from the size and shape so far, while the other is a wild cherry. Alas though, I still will have no cherry fruit.

1 comment:

  1. The trees are beautiful. Stuff is blooming here too. I love this time if year. I have been out of the loop for a few days. Got home Sat. Hope now to keep up better with the blog. Granny

    ReplyDelete