Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Daffodils


Daffodils are beautiful and remarkably hardy. Although we cannot eat them, the wonder of the daffodil is food for the souls and pleasure to the eye. They may look delicate but they are quite hardy and although we have had very unusual snow has not damaged this year’s. I have been taking the daffodils into work and for patients and I am surprised how good they look on day 3 and 4.
It has now be several years since I planted a few bulbs. No more than 3 or 4 in a patch that now look like they may have 12-16 flowers from splitting the bulbs.

I have good news about my tomato seedlings and can report that almost all pots have produced at least one if not two seedlings. However, I have yet to see any of shoots from the peppers or eggplant pots. It has been eight days. It may take a few more days to show but also the seeds are a year old. Seeds age and the longer you keep them they will be less robust and likely to sprout. I am still hoping to get a few and I really only need a few but this is one reason to consider buying new seeds each year and saving seed each year from your own garden. If you do save seeds you should remember that if they are hybrids like F1 that you will not get the same plant. More about that later.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for those good tomato's. I can help plant some now that I will be there for a while

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures of the flowers. They are beautiful. I just love spring. New life everywhere. A new beginning for us all.

    ReplyDelete