Saturday, March 6, 2010

Seed Potatoes


I want to plant potatoes this year in the garden. In order to plant potatoes you need "seed potatoes". Now every place I look in books or on-line the recommendations are to buy certified seed potatoes. I never see any in local stores and the ones on line are expensive. I have decided that I have been following the rules and regulations very closely and that it is time to "color outside the lines". The reasons given for not going to the local grocery store is that the spuds might be infected with viruses and that potatoes are sometimes sprayed with a chemical to keep them from budding out. I decided I would try some organic spuds and just see what will happen. They look pretty healthy and of course viruses are small so I cannot see them; however they are sprouting. Today I will cut them up and let the cut sides dry out for a few days making a scab before I plant them. We will know in a few months how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. we never brought seed potato's just the ones from the store. They should work fine. Look good to me.

    ReplyDelete